EVALUATING THE IMPACT OF MARKETING ON THE SERVICE OF BANKING INDUSTRY (CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA PLC.)
| Format: Ms Word | 1-5 Chapters | Table of Content|
INSTANT PROJECT MATERIAL DOWNLOAD
Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE
TABLE OF CONTENT
TABLE OF CONTENT
CHAPTER ONE – INTRODUCTION 1
- BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY 1
- STATEMENT OF THE RESEARCH PROBLEM 2
- OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY 2
- SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY 3
- RESEARCH QUESTION 3
- SCOPE OF THE STUDY 4
- LIMITATION OF THE STUDY 4
- SOLUTION TO THE CONSTRAINTS OF THE STUDY 5
- STUDY PLAN 5
- DEFINITION OF KEY TERMS 5
CHAPTER TWO- LITERATURE REVIEW 7
2.1 MEANING OF MARKETING 7
2.2 MARKETING CONCEPTS 8
2.3 MEANING OF SERVICE ORGANISATION 8
2.4 MARKETING SERVICES 9
2.5 MARKETING MIX ELEMENTS 11
2.6 SPECIAL FEATURES OF SERVICES 15
2.7 EXTERNAL, INTERNAL AND INTERACTING MARKET 17
2.8 HYPOTHESIS FORMULATION 18
CHAPTER THREE- RESEARCH METHODOLOGY 19
3.1 HISTORICAL PROFILE OF THE CASE STUDY 19
3.2 METHOD OF DATA COLLECTION 20
3.3POPULATION AND SAMPLE SIZE 21
3.4 SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY 21
3.5 METHOD OF DATA ANALYSIS 21
CHAPTER FOUR- DATA PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS
4.1 DISCUSION OF ANALYSIS 23
4.2 DISCUSION OF FINDINGS 35
CHAPTER FIVE-SUMMARY, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATION
5.1 SUAMMARY 37
5.2 CONCLUSION 37
5.3 RECOMMENDATION 38
A LETTER OF INTRODUCTION 40
B QUESTIONNAIRE 41
1.0: BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Marketing as a discipline has evolved from its old origin of distribution and selling to a comprehensive modern philosophy of marketing. Thus marketing today is perceived as a cornerstone of policy and practice of small, big knowledgeable organizations including non profit making organization such as government parastatals, ministries etc. and non governmental organization such as Churches, Mosques who are seeing Marketing as a new way of looking at their relationship with their publics.
Marketing is usually identified with an economy of abundance where a nation produces for beyond the substance needs and in order to maintain competition advantages. Marketing is no longer a mere distribution and services, it has evolved into a central business function which tries to dynamically relate the organization to its markets and thus enable it to adjust and service the changing environment. The managers today are not only tasked with determining the price of a product or services rendered but also has to set targets, organize marketing instrument and control the various marketing mixes in order to achieve set objectives.
These customers’ requirements or needs can be tangible or intangibles i.e. Physical products and services.
Kotler, (2000) sees physical goods anything or product that is been offered to the customer or publics in order to meet customers needs and want which can be seen, touch, smell, taste and feel.
He further proposed that service is any activity or benefit that one party can offer to another that is essentially intangible and does not result in the ownership of any tangible or physical
Products. In a service organization, prices of services are not subjected to bargain or prior agreement which exposes the customers to possible exploitation by the service provider (oyebode: 2006).
The American Marketing Associations (AMA) defines marketing as a managerial process that is responsible for identifying, anticipating and satisfying customers requirement as a profit.
Organization is the coming together of two or more persons or companies to contribute wealth together with a common goal in order to achieve organizational objectives ( Kabiru: 2001). Therefore, marketing is very relevant in service organizational and the marketing activities to be used or introduced in a service organization is based on the organizational positioning, organization’s policy towards competitive advantage, most especially in the banking industry.
1.2: STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The problems of this study shall be expressed in the following questions;
- What is the relevance of Marketing in a service organization?
- What types of marketing mix are mostly favored in a service organization?
- Does the channel of distribution used help in goal realization in a service firm?
- How was the pricing policies helped in goal realization in service organization?
- How can Marketing strategies affect the customers’ patronage and their satisfaction in a service organization?
1.3: AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The aim of this study is an examination of relevance of Marketing to service organization using a financial service firm as a case study.
Therefore, the following objectives shall be pursued:
- To find out whether the customers are satisfied with the kind of services being offered to them or not.
- To measure the reliability of the service rendered by a giving service organization, using a particular organization as case study.
- To examine whether the service rendered are affordable or expensive.
- To establish the correlation (if any) between the customers perceived satisfaction from the case study and other service products in the same industry.
1.4: SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance of the study relates to the usefulness of this study, the various marketing activities performed by financial service organization. This research work is of significance to the researchers, students and the service organization.
- This study is of significance to the researcher in the following ways:
- The project gives the researcher the practical experience into relevance of Marketing to service organizations.
- It serves as political fulfillment of the requirement for the award of Ordinary National Diploma (OND) in Accountancy
- It also adds to the researcher’s knowledge as it helps to know more about the subject matter.
- To the student at large, it will similarly serve as secondary data for student embarking on related research or further findings.
- To the service organizations, this research would be of great use to bankers and other financial service provider in designing and implementing of carefully designed marketing activities, thereby enhancing better performance.
1.5: RESEARCH QUESTIONS
In course of the study some questions under consideration are;
- Does Marketing have effect on the organizational strategy?
- What is the impact of Marketing on the service of the banking industry?
- What are the Marketing techniques that are most effective in the banking industry?
- How much does ATM improve service delivery in the banking industry?
1.6: SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study is limited in scope i.e. the area of the study covered is the service organization used as a case study in order to examine the relevance of Marketing in a service organization. The theoretical scope of this study is satisfaction of customers by meeting their requirements, delivering of effective service to achieve marketing objectives’. The study will cover the first Bank of Nigeria Plc. In Ilorin, the Kwara State capital. The study is covering a banking industry within Ilorin metropolis which should be carried out within a minimum time which is a year.
1.7: LIMITATION AND CONSTRAINTS OF THE STUDY
During the execution of the research there are limitations and constraints. Some come from the customers and bankers who are the respondents, while others relate to finance and time constraints.
As it is obvious, many organizations do not spell out all records and make some information secrecy. This makes some information not being able to be obtained.
Also, the researcher is also faced with financial problems because of the high cost of internet browsing and cost of meeting the customers for information.
Lastly, the time factor in the sense that the research was conducted during the normal school period when one has to attend lectures and engage in other vital commitments such as seminars, symposiums, continuous assessment, test and examinations.
1.8: SOLUTIONS PROVIDED TO THE CONSTRAINTS OF THE STUDY
In order to obtain comprehensive information needed from the study. Apart from the information obtained from the website, various investigations where conducted through observations, questionnaire, among other source.
Furthermore, to curb the problem of finance, funds were raised through donations and rallies were also concluded.
Lastly, the time factor being a major problem, it was ensured that enough time was made available to conduct the project. Investigations conducted for the study was done mainly during the holding period.
1.9: STUDY PLAN
The study is divided into five chapters, and each chapter is sub divided into sub parts.
Chapter One contains introduction, background of the study, significance of the study, research questions, scope of the study, limitations, study plan and definition of keywords.
Chapter Two contain or reveal all the associated literature.
While chapter Three is purely research methodology.
Chapter Four is concern with data presentation and analysis.
Finally, chapter five which is the last chapter entails the summary, conclusion, recommendation, bibliography and appendices
1.10: DEFINITION OF KEY WORDS
2. Service Marketing
4. Service Organization
- MARKETING: Marketing is a philosophical concept stressing the identification of customer needs, the distribution of such needs in goods and services from point of production to the point of consumption, thus provides such customers with satisfaction and the desired profit through consumer satisfaction.
- SERVICE MARKETING: This is an aspect of management activity which seems to direct flow of service beneficiary to selected clients.
- ORGANISATION: This is the coming together of two or more persons or companies to gather wealth and share a common goal in order to achieve organizational objectives.
- SERVICE ORGANIZATION: This comprises of individual organization or industry that provides activities, benefits and satisfaction for customer at a fee in abstract value.
- SERVICE: This is any activity or benefit that one party can offer to another that is essentially intangible and does not result in the ownership of anything, its production may or may not be tied to a physical products.