EVALUATION OF RETAILING STORES IN ILORIN METROPOLIS (A CASE STUDY OF J.M.K SUPERMARKET)
| Format: Ms Word | 1-5 Chapters | Table of Content|
INSTANT PROJECT MATERIAL DOWNLOAD
Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE
TABLE OF CONTENT
Table of content
1.1 Background of the study
1.2 Statement of the study
1.3 Objective of the study
1.4 Significant of the study
1.5 scope of the study
1.6 Limitation of the study
2.0 Literature review
2.2 Types of retail organization
2.3 Functions of retailing
2.4 Problems and prospect of retailing
2.5 Inventory control
2.6 Important of inventory control
2.7 Design and layout in retail stores
3.0 Research methodology
3.1 Population definition
3.2 Sampling techniques
3.3 Sample size
3.4 Research design
3.5 Sources of data collection
3.6 Method of data collection
3.7 Data presentation and analysis
3.8 Reliability and validity
4.0 Presentation and analysis
4.1 Presentations of data
4.2 Analysis of data
4.3 Discussion of findings
5.0 Summary of finding, conclusion and recommendation
5.1 Summary of finding
- BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
retailing activities involves in the sales of goods or services to ultimate consumer for personal or non-personal use any one selling to the ultimate consumer is performing the function of a retailer regardless. Retailing is not a new concept in Nigeria, it is a common business among the people in Nigeria from time to immemorial retailing activities, are comm9on in open market and surrounding e.g OJA OBA market in (ILORIN), ALABA MARKET in (LAGOS) and DUGBE MARKET in (IBADAN).
A retailer purchase goods or product in large quantities from manufactureers directly or through a wholesale and then sells smaller quantities to the consumer for a profit. Retailer is all activities involve in selling goods and services directly to final consume for their personal and non-personal use.
Retailing alos cover services rendered by lawyers, doctor, driver and lecturers. Anyone who market to the ultimate consumer by whateever name is in the business of retailing e.g vendor food seller, cigarette seller and barbers.
Hospital is retail to patient as college and retailers of education.
We also have types of retailing organistion and they may be categorized based on the following factors.
- Ownership e.g independent and cooperative. A independent majority of shops are owner by individual in Nigeria e.g JMK supermarket and GOMOLA group. They but in large quantity either from wholesale or producers and sell in unit to final consumer. Some specialize while some sell variety of item. In Nigeria today the individual shops are increasing in food canteen and raw food. This types of retail covers all sorts of goods and services range from hair style salon, barbing salon and bag e.t.c
- Cooperative society: a cooperative society is defines as a co-operative retailing organization trading on cooperative principle afflicted to the national cooperative through cooperative union.
- Range of merchandise: some retail organization offer a wide range of goods. E.g variety stores supermarket and departmental stores which JMK supermarket and GOMOLA belong to.
- Size: the average size of the organization numbers of branches it has made them different from the firms.
- Pricing policy: some firms may deliberately focus at low price, low margin and high turnover operation e.g discount store.
- Location: due to the continued increase in cost of location in town entire and traffic conjuction, many firms prefer to stay on in the center of the town.
- STATEMENT OF THE STUDY
The success of retails outlets depend greatly on the stability of it location. Location is reffere to the actual place in which the store or supermarket is sited.
The rent or cost of the building represents a major cost to the retail. Even if the other tenants of retaining is observed and retail outfit is poorly sited. A good location enables the retailer to make use of all the merchandizing plans as draw up, provision of sample parking space and sufficient merchandise supply with competitive price and alternative display enhance the success of the store. Display is also of paramount important to get exposure for all the items of merchandize because most consumers trend to just move on perimeter of the store and if all the goods are not well exposed him might not buy.
Research has also shown that majority of the purchases made by consumers are done an impulse and all items should be properly display so that customer will be allowed proper view of all displays as unseen goods are usually unsold.
- AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The aims and objectives of this project work includes the following
i. it is the aim of this project work is to find out how the retailers carryout their activities and the function they rendered to both wholesalers and consumers.
ii. The aim of this project is to examine the different types of retailers and how each type performs the marketing function.
iii. This research is aimed at finding out how effective retailers are in the distribution of essential commodity in Nigeria.
iv. It is also the aim of this research to identify the nature and various types of merchandising carried out by the different retailers.
- SIGNIFICANT OF THE STUDY
the research attempts to examine and prove answers to the questions on understanding of the concept of location, serving, pricing display of goods and services by supermarket and store operator and the application of the concept their advantages.
It attempts to find out the feeling of consumer about the activities of the retails.
It also attempts to find out what roles that retails play in the making of goods and srevices, to the consumer especially operation of stores and supermarket.
- SCOPE OF THE STUDY:
This research work is carried out within the JMK supermarket in Ilorin metropolis. Therefore, this research work is focused principally on the evaluation of retailing activities stores in Ilorin metropolis and prospective area to limit my work, getting necessary data needed for this project is the manager of the supermarket. It would be very difficult to get everybody contracted as regards to data needed in carrying out the research.
- LIMITATIONS AND CONSTRAINT
Various form of disturbance was encountered during the course of this research work. Data collection which almost frustrates the efforts of the research.
The limitation and constraint for this research work are:
- access to data
- Finance: finances is greatly affected the researcher in the course is to carrying out the research work and the high cost of research material make it difficult. As a student who manages the little amount gather from parent and relative to arrive at a conclusion stage.
- Time: time was not sufficient for the researcher to carryout the work as student who stays in school from Monday to Friday receiving lecture and can only spend Saturday together the relevant information and analysis in meaningful in written material presented to the supervisor for examine firm and approval.
- Access to data: data collection is another constraint of this research work which almost frustrate the effort of the researcher and the non-response, lukewarm, non-chalet attitude of some of the respondents in the society.