| Format: Ms Word | 1-5 Chapters | Table of Content|
INSTANT PROJECT MATERIAL DOWNLOAD
Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE
Clearance for graduating students is necessary continual process in every University. Federal University of Technology Minna, student clearance has always been a manual process over the past years. This project aims at replacing the existing manual process with an automated or computerized system. Some programming language such as HTML, PHP and MYSQL are used for the implementation of the proposed system. The system will reduce significantly clearance registration processing time; provide more efficiency and reliable clearance registration method. The system will also eliminate completely stress associated with the current clearance method.
TABLE OF CONTENT PAGES
TITLE PAGE i
TABLE OF CONTENT vii
LISTS OF TABLES xi
LIST OF FIGURES xii
ABBREVIATIONS, GLOSSARIES AND SYMBOLS xiii
1.0 Introduction 1
1.1 Background of the study 1 1.2 Statement of the problem 2
1.3 Objective of the study 3
1.4 Significance of the study 3
1.5 Scope of the study 4
1.6 Limitation of the study 4
1.7 Definition of Terms 4
2.0 Introduction 6
2.1 Important of Information and Communication Technology in Academic Setting 6
2.2 What is Clearance system 8
2.2.1 Banking system clearance 8
22.214.171.124 Electronic credit clearing 8
126.96.36.199 Electronic debit clearing 9
2.2.2 Medicine system clearance 10
2.3 Method of Clearance system 10
2.3.1 Manual method 10
2.3.2 Automated method 10
2.4 Different between Manual and Automated method of clearance 11
SYSTEM ANAYLSIS AND DESIGN
3.0 Introduction 12
3.1 Analysis of the existing clearance form 12
3.2 Limitation of the existing system 15
3.3 Justification of the new system 15
3.4 Methodology 15
3.4.1 Personal interview 16
3.4.2 Review and evaluation of form and documents 16
3.4.3 Internet resource 16
3.5 Data collection 16
3.6 The proposed system 17
3.6.1 Characteristics of the proposed system 17
3.7 System design diagram 18
3.7.1 The flowchart 18
3.7.2 The package diagram 21
3.7.3 The use case diagram 22
3.7 4 The sequence diagram 23
SYSTEM IMPLEMENTATION, TESTING AND INTEGRATION
4.0 Introduction 24
4.1 Choice of programming language use 24
4.2 The system main menu implementation 25
4.3 Implementation of the subsystem 26
4.3.1 Payment gateway 26
4.3.2 Administrator login 27
4.4 Query subsystem implement 29
4.5 System testing and integration 31
4.6 Test plan 32
4.6.1 Unit testing 32
4.6.2 Integration testing 34
4.6.3 System testing 35
4.7 Test data 36
SUMMARY AND CONCLUSION
5.0 Introduction 37
5.1 Summary 37
5.2 Finding and discussion 37
5.3 Suggestion for further work 38
5.4 Recommendation 38
5.5 Conclusion 38
2.1 Differences between manual and automated clearance method 11
4.1 Unit testing 31
4.2 Integration testing 32
4.3 System testing 33
4.4 Showing add student to the system 34
LIST OF FIGURES
3.1 Flow chart showing the existing method of clearance obtainable in FUTMINNA 14
3.2 Flow chart of the proposed system 19
3.3 System flow chart for student session 20
3.4 Package diagram for online clearance system 21
3.5 use case diagram for the online clearance system for graduating student 22
3.6 sequence diagram showing how a clearance is carrying out 23
4.1 The system main menu 26
4.2 The payment page 26
4.3 Admin login page 27
4.4 The admin dashboard login 28
4.5 Query subsystem of the student record 29
4.6 The upload students interface 30
4.7 The clearance receipt showing the student has been cleared 31
ABBREVIATIONS, GLOSSARIES AND SYMBOLS
HOD Head of Department
SO Sport officer
SA Student Affair
HTML Hypertext Markup Language
CSS Cascading Style Sheet
PHP Hypertext Preprocessor
MYSQL My Structure Query Language
UT Unit Testing
IT Integration Testing
ST System Testing
FUTMINNA Federal University of Technology, Minna
This chapter covers the ideas of what this project entail, why is project is carry out and what is to be achieved at the end of the work.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The internet has change the face of the world and make receiving and sending of information spread widely and easily, this can be done at the tips of peoples hand and without wasting any time. Compared to when internet has not evolved, before information could be received another end, it takes time depending on the distance of the journey.
According to (Adesanya, 2002). The Internet is a global collection of many types of computers and computer networks that are linked together. It is increasingly becoming the solution to many information, problems, information exchange, and marketing.
According to Awuzie (2013) Clearance is the process of determining and negotiating any permission that are needed to include the use of someone else’s intellectual property in creative project. Clearance systems for graduating students are vital incessant procedures and process in every University that is inevitable. The clearance must be carried out so as to check if the student is eligible to go for NYSC service and not owning the school anything. It is the University practice to carry out these processes at the completion of the last exam in school, where the student did not have any carryover left.
Online clearance system is a web base system which makes use of the internet. Federal University of Technology current method of clearance is not internet base which increase the stress of student going from school to school to sign the forms. The form given to student must be signed by the following; Dean of all school, University Liberian, Head of department, Sport official, Dean of student affair.
Thus the need of a web based clearance system for graduating student is inevitable to save the time and the cost of transportation from one location to another.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
In Federal University of Technology Minna, clearing of graduating students has always been a manual process. Effort has been made by the University to replace the existing manual process with an automated clearance system for graduating student but to this day clearance is still a manual process. It is evident that the registration is incapable to totally replace the manual process of online clearance system for graduating student.
It is obvious that we are now in a technology era where science and technology applied to almost every aspect of life to make work faster, easier and efficient. As a University of Technology it is our duty to lead the way into Science and Technology for other institution and organization to emulate by implementing automated systems that will replace all manual process within our University System.
The manual process of clearing student has a lot of limitation which include
- The integrity of information is not fully guaranteed, as there is high risk of information getting to unauthorized or wrong hand that may manipulate the information illegally making the information inaccurate.
- In the absence of personnel in charge of any of the clearance form processes, the entire clearance registration process is delayed until such personnel is available
- Too much time is wasted before a student successfully completes his/her clearance registration form
- The manual process is only capable of attending to a limited number of student a day, hence students who are not attended to will, have to come back the next day until they successfully complete their clearance form registration.
1.3. OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
Listed below are the objectives of this project work;
- To identify issues associated with current process of clearing final year students in Federal University of Technology Minna,
- To design and implement an automated clearing system for Federal University of Technology Minna.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
Online clearance system is basically design to save user information, facilitate the manipulation of data in a faster rate, provide concurrent access (access too many user at this time) to authorize users, and also ensure the integrity and accuracy of the information system store by the authorize users.
The online clearance system for graduating student will help to ease the student from queuing to have them cleared by the University.
1.5. SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The online clearance system for graduating student has been designed to manage the clearance process for graduating student of only Computer Science Department students of Federal University of Technology Minna.
1.6 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
For the purpose of this project, the service provided by the Online Clearance System For Graduating Students (OCSFGS) is only restricted to Computer Science Department. It does not extend to other departments in the University at the moment. The application can be extended if the University management is interested with it.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
- OCSFGS: means Online Clearance System for Graduating Student.
- Online: is the condition of being connected to a network of computer or other device.
- Clearance: is the certification of blamelessness, trustworthiness, faithfulness or suitability. The definition by free dictionary.
- System: an assembly of interrelated elements which we find interesting to study, it could be a process or machine.
- Graduating Student: is a student that has completed his/her 4 or 5 year course of study in the University.
- Computer network: is a group of connected, communicating devices such as computers and printers.
- Internet: is composed of hundreds of thousands of interconnected networks.
- Database: is a collection of data or file purpose to assist many users at the same time.
- Database management system or DBMS: is software designed to assist in maintaining and utilizing large collections of database.
- Website: is a collection of web pages which have image and/or text for the purpose of passing information to the users.
- Server : is a process that provides requested services for clients.