THE EFFECT OF LEADERSHIP STYLE ON THE MOTIVATION OF WORKERS IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR
| Format: Ms Word | 1-5 Chapters | Table of Content|
INSTANT PROJECT MATERIAL DOWNLOAD
Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE
1.1 Background of the study
1.2 Statement of problem
1.3 Objective of the study
1.4 Research Hypotheses
1.5 Significance of the study
1.6 Scope and limitation of the study
1.7 Definition of terms
1.8 Organization of the study
2.0 LITERATURE REVIEW
3.0 Research methodology
3.1 sources of data collection
3.3 Population of the study
3.4 Sampling and sampling distribution
3.5 Validation of research instrument
3.6 Method of data analysis
DATA PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS AND INTERPRETATION
4.2 Data analysis
This study is on the effect of leadership style on the motivation of workers in the public sector. The total population for the study is 200 staff of Nike Lake Resort Hotel in Enugu State. The researcher used questionnaires as the instrument for the data collection. Descriptive Survey research design was adopted for this study. A total of 133 respondents made up operation managers, waiters, bartenders and cooks were used for the study. The data collected were presented in tables and analyzed using simple percentages and frequencies
- Background of the study
An organization comprises of people interested and working together towards the achievement of the organization. It is a common notion that a fundamental and material disagreement exist between the demand of the organization and the need of the workers. Whereas, the organization imposes demands for routine behaviour and conformity to rules and regulations workers exhibit dominant needs for creative expression and initiative. In the light of this, it is paramount for one rested with the responsibility of supervising and motivating the workers to ensure that they work in accordance to instruction. In this case, one who wears the crown as a leader that assures the role of his leadership style in the motivation of workers has effect on their performance. Leadership dates back to ancient times, when men of stoned age in association with each other exploited their environment through the process of farming, hunting and building etc. In this process there were always people to lead them. In this recent time, workers have demonstrated a non-chalant attitude to their job in certain transition. The truth is not farfetched because this can be attributed to the effect of leadership style in the management of human resources in relationship to his work place It is no doubt that success of any organization lies in the type of leadership style adopted by various leaders in leading their subordinate to accomplish the set goals and objectives. Workers perception of satisfaction with the boss and leadership style can affect their management performance either in a negative or positive manner. It is when workers are happy that they will contribute optionally towards the goals and objectives of the organization on the other hand, if workers are not happy with their boss leadership style, they will definitely not be motivated to contribute their quota towards the achievement of the organization goals.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
Organization exists for the purpose of achieving certain goals and objectives. Every organization has people as the hallmark function towards the realization of organizational goals and objectives. This is so because organization does not exist in isolation. For this reason, people are employed to perform different functions so as to achieve same goals and objectives of the organizations.
These people employed to work in an organization has their need to satisfy and the process, through which these needs can be met and the thought which they are satisfied in the workplace influence their performance. The leadership style adopted by the leaders in leading their subordinate can also affect the performance of workers towards the accomplishment of the organization goals and objectives. This is mostly the case in a situation when such a leadership style will not enable the subordinate to achieve their personal needs in the organization. The particular style adopted by the leaders ensuring that subordinate behaviour is geared towards realization of the organization can affect the performance of the subordinate. The role of leadership style as a subordinate performance of these, has well demonstrated by such scholars like the Gregor (1957 – 1960), Monter and Blake (1996), Fielder (1967) and Likerb (1961). It was found that the researchers decide to look at the role of leadership styles on the motivation of workers performance in an organization.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The following purposes are expected to be accomplished in this study;
- To determine the leadership style in the motivation of workers.
- To examine the leadership style adopted by the leaders in leading their subordinates in the organization and to see the effect on workers performance
iii. To identify how workers perception of a leader can affect their performance.
- To look at the problems associated with the leaders such by way of recommendation.
- To advance people’s knowledge and understanding on leadership as an important phenomenon in the organization and human resource management in the organization.
1.4 RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
For the successful completion of the study, the following research hypotheses were formulated by the researcher;
H0 The nature of relationship between the workers and management in the organization will no affect the workers perception of their boss leadership style.
H1: The nature of relationship between the workers and management in the organization will affect the workers perception of their boss leadership style.
H02: A worker’s satisfaction with the relationship of leadership style of his boss will not motivate him to performance.
H2: A worker’s satisfaction with the relationship of leadership style of his boss will motivate him to performance.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
According to Douglas McGregor (1975 – 1960) a leader cannot avoid the exercise of authority any more than he can avoid the responsibility of what happens to his organization. The significance of this study as to examine the various leadership happening to a leader to adopt different situation with a view to enhance the performance of the workers. The study is significant in the sense that it broadens the people’s mind or knowledge in the leadership style process in the organization. New research has been generated due to findings of this study and such new research can enrich the literature on leadership and improve orientation and knowledge on the concept. The leader has to be conscious of his unique position in the organization by making sure that the action head to conformity with demands of workers is secure. Also the study will be of great importance and improvement to the management of organization being studied and practicing manage of the other organization.
1.6 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This study intends to cover up every parts of an organization. in the course of this study, questionnaire shall be distributed to all categories of workers in an organization. This study will look at the roles played by the leaders in the organization. The various leadership styles appropriated at different situations and the relationship between the leaders and effective performance of the subordinate. The researcher encounters some constrain which limited the scope of the study;
- a) AVAILABILITY OF RESEARCH MATERIAL: The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
- b) TIME: The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
- c) Organizational privacy: Limited Access to the selected auditing firm makes it difficult to get all the necessary and required information concerning the activities.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
- Motivation:The desire and will to excel and work, it stimulates an individual to perform their work.
- Management: As used in this project are those people such as the top managers who control and make policies for organization.
- Leadership Style: The style adopted by the leaders in leading his subordinates.
- Perception: Process by which the workers are being motivated to performance through bearing and seeing things being made.
- Planning, organizing, co-ordinating and controlling of activities in an organization are the functions of a manager in an organization.
- Interview: This refers to the time and space between the parts of the performance.
- Polity makers: Making a good policy that is beneficial to the organization and the subordinate.
- Impoverished: As it is also used in this project, it means making poor result on performance.
- Incompatible: Not able to be used in combination with another.
- Exploitation: This means to develop the meaning of an idea or explanation of literature test.
- Environment factors: The place where the organization will be located based on the account of the leadership.
- Arbitration:Performing the duty or functions of settling disputes especially amongst his subordinate and between some other people or group.
- Demoralization:To destroy the morale of something or kill the spirit of something.
- Luminary:A person who is an expert or a great influence in a special area or activity.
- Activator:To make such a device or chemical process start working laying down a standard that is challenging of the higher level of needs.
- Authorities:As it is used in this project, it relates to as manager commands.
- Visionaries:To show the ability to think about or plan the nature with great imagination and intelligence.
- Persistent:This means a condition in which a person’s body is kept working by medical means but the person shows no signs of other brain activity.
- Transcend:This means to be or go beyond the usual limits; extremely great.
- Unanimity:As it is used in this project, means complete agreement about something among a group of people.
- Adaptability:Able to change or be changed in order to deal successfully with a new situation, old workers can be adaptable and quick to adapt to economic change.
- Empathy:The ability to understand another person’s feelings and experience.
- Dexterity:This means one using his hand for quantity skills.
- Dynamism:This means energy enthusiasm to make new things happen or make things succeed.
1.8 ORGANIZATION OF THE STUDY
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows
Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study. Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature. Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study. Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding. Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study.
USE THIS MATERIALS AS A GUIDE FOR YOUR PERSONAL RESEARCH WORK (IF PROPERLY CITED)
Account Number: 0709546102
Access Bank: Savings
Account Name: Emmanuel Idorenyin Samuel.