THE EFFECT OF TEACHER-PUPIL RELATIONSHIP ON ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF PRIMARY SCHOOL PUPIL
| Format: Ms Word | 1-5 Chapters | Table of Content|
INSTANT PROJECT MATERIAL DOWNLOAD
Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE
This project was carried out to determine the effect of teacher– pupil relationship in academic achievement of primary school pupil. The studies acknowledge the importance of teacher-pupil relationships and conclude close, supportive relationships which have low levels of conflict and dependency, significantly increase pupils’ social, emotional and behavioral development, and to a lesser degree, their academic achievement. The total population for the study is 200 staff from different primary school in Enugu south, Enugu State was selected randomly. The researcher used questionnaires as the instrument for the data collection. Descriptive Survey research design was adopted for this study. A total of 133 respondents made up headmasters, non academic staff, senior staff and junior staff was used for the study. The data collected were presented in tables and analyzed using simple percentages and frequencies
- Background of the study
Education is a highly rated public venture used as an instrument par excellence in natural development. Also Education is a process of receiving or giving systemic instruction especially at school or university, “a new system of public education”. According to fafunwa (2004) Education is an aggregate of all the process by means of which a person develops abilities and other forms of behavior of positive value in the society in which he lives. Education is a life long process that is, the process of renewing or up dating knowledge to ensure job security, effective social, political and economic participation continuous individual growth and development. (Nzeneri, 2008). According to Igbo (2006) Education is the process by which society deliberately transmit its cultural heritage through institutions such as schools, college and universities. It also prepares a person to perform justly, skillfully and magnanimously in war or at peace on the bases of acquired knowledge, skills and attitudes. Education is the process of remarking experience; giving it more socialized value through increased individual experience by giving the individual better control over his own powers Ozochi (2009). Credence is given to this view by National Objectives of Nigeria Education as seen in the second National Development Plan and endorsed as the necessary foundation for the National Policy on Education (NPE). According to NPE (2004), the following are the aims and objectives of Education
- The inculcation of the national consciousness national unity
- The inculcation of the right type of values and attitudes for survival of the individual and the Nigeria society.
iii. The training of the mind in the understanding of the world and
- The acquisition of appropriate skills, abilities and competencies both mental and physical as equipment for the individual to live in and contribute to the development of his society. Based on using education as a tool for the realization of the national objectives, various other achievement are expected from education in national devilment, such aims are as follow; better human relationship, self realization, individual and national unity. According to Olumba (2003), these aims can never be actualized if there are poor relationships existing between the teacher and his pupils. Bringing these aims to reality depends on the orientation of teachers and pupils in the educational system because good education requires trained and committed teachers, who will carry the pupils along with them to achieve the educational goals. The purpose of introducing this study is to make the teacher-pupils relationships on academic performance of primary school pupil and their pupils in discharging their respective duties in order to achieve the aims of the National Policy on Education. Philosophy of education laid emphasis on human rotation in the process of teaching and learning. It is believed that teaching in every respect is a serious business and should be seen to be so. As a banker is governed by certain principles which made him expert in his field, so is the teacher governed by certain principles which made him to be expert in his own area of specialization. Teaching is the process of inculcating in the learners the desirable knowledge, culture, skills, values and norms which will make him to be useful to himself and the society at large. Therefore to promote the relationship between the teacher and pupils, the teacher must determine the best efficient and effective methods of teaching, the selected materials to create conducive learning experiences that will utilize the content associated with each objectives. However, in order to improve pupil academic performance, it is necessary that pedagogy becomes a study; otherwise, there is nothing to hope from it. To this end, a careful analysis of any method must precede its use. This is where philosophy comes in so it is on philosophy that the art of education must wait for a design of action. Evident are the several theoretical models which philosophers and educators have come up with according to their best or frame of mental dispositions. For examples, the nationalist emphasized on motivation, direct experience and on maintaining interest of the child. Their main concern is to create suitable environment in order to influence the development of an individual. Pragmatist recommend socialized techniques, projects and problem solving method. Yet, the divergent and wide these schools are, they focus on common problem militating against education, the aims of education, the nature of the learner, educational content, method and the condition under which the learners can obtain the maximum experience. Moreover, in view of the above background, the researcher is challenged to find out the effect of teacher – pupil relationship on academic performance of primary school pupil.
- STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The school system generally has seen associated with poor academic performance, formation of bad gangs by pupils, perpetual hatred to teachers, neglect of some subjects which then gave rise to serious problems for the realization of educational objectives. It is unfortunate that a good number of pupils have lost virtues of good behavior since their teachers did no longer show the love, care and affection. In the sight of the above problems, the researcher therefore intend to carry out this study in order to emerge with some empirical data relating to the extent to which teacher – pupil relationship has contributed to the non effective academic performance of primary school pupil.
- OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The main objective of this study is the effect of teacher-pupil relationship on academic performance of primary school pupil. But for the successful completion of the study; the researcher intends to achieve the following sub-objectives;
- To ascertain the effect of teachers on academic performance of pupil
- To ascertain the extent to which teachers allow pupils freedom in the class.
- To ascertain the level of cordiality between teachers and pupils in primary school
- To ascertain the relationship between teacher-pupil relationship and pupil academic performance in primary school
- RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
For the successful completion of the study, the following research hypotheses were formulated by the researcher;
H0: there is no cordiality between teachers and pupils in class
H1: there is cordiality between teachers and pupils in class
H02: there is no significant relationship between teacher-pupil relationship and pupil academic performance
H2: there is a significant relationship between teacher-pupil relationship and pupil academic performance
- SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This research work is being carried out to investigate the effect of teacher – pupil’s relationship on academic performance of primary school pupil. The work will go a long way in helping all state holders of education which includes teachers, pupils, parents and the entire system of education. The researcher’s work will be of benefit to the teachers as it will serve as sense of direction to them by helping them to understand and know the reason why children perform blow standard, academically in primary school. Also the work will be of benefit to pupils as they acquire more knowledge which thereby changes the academic achievement from negative to positive based on the improvement in their relationship with them. In the case of ministry of education, they will benefit from their names being gazette in their magazine having recognized them for excellence. The ministry of education may as well give them grants to maintain the schools in all activities such as sports and other equipment required; thereby the schools would be a liability.
- SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The scope of the study covers the effect of teacher-pupil relationship on academic performance of primary school pupil. The researcher encounters some constrain which limited the scope of the study;
- a) AVAILABILITY OF RESEARCH MATERIAL: The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
- b) TIME: The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
- c) Organizational privacy: Limited Access to the selected auditing firm makes it difficult to get all the necessary and required information concerning the activities.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
TEACHER: A teacher is a person who helps others to acquire knowledge, competences or values. Informally the role of teacher may be taken on by anyone.
PUPIL: The pupil is a hole located in the center of the iris of the eye that allows light to strike the retina. It appears black because light rays entering the pupil are either absorbed by the tissues inside the eye directly, or absorbed after diffuse reflections within the eye that mostly miss exiting the narrow pupil.
RELATIONSHIP: Interpersonal relationship, a strong, deep, or close association or acquaintance between two or more people. Correlation and dependence, relationships in mathematics and statistics between two variables or sets of data.
PRIMARY SCHOOL: A primary school is a school in which children receive primary or elementary education from the age of about five to twelve, coming after preschool and before
1.8 ORGANIZATION OF THE STUDY
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows
Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study. Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature. Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study. Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding. Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study.
USE THIS MATERIALS AS A GUIDE FOR YOUR PERSONAL RESEARCH WORK (IF PROPERLY CITED)
Account Number: 0709546102
Access Bank: Savings
Account Name: Emmanuel Idorenyin Samuel.