Spread the love
Basic Guidelines On Research Project Writing for Universities, College of Education and Polytechnics in Nigeria. Undergraduate Research project is a basic requirment for all final year students in tertiary institutions. The students being supervised by an academic staff, carries out a pre-determined research within the area of their study. The supervisor receives proposals of the research interest, approve it, provide guidance and assess the work at the end. There are standards in the research build-up, actual research, presentation and print submissions. These put the students in shape for the strict rules they are to face after-school.
Principle of Project Writing.
1. Use good grammar: Good grammar motivates good readers and attracts extra credit to the writer.
2. Write with clarity: Avoid contractions or abbreviations like; e.g, i.e, e.t.c.
3. Avoid plagiarism by using the common terms sparingly: Minimize the use of common words, keep your writing self-contained.
4. Master the art of organization: The format and style of writing is almost the same in every discipline, but differs in presentation. Hence, understand your discipline.
Developing A Good Project
In developing the project content, the work is usually divided into five (5) chapters before any further division. The format is as follows.
1. Title page: This has the project topic, department, supervisor, month and year the project is written.
2. Certification: This is known as the approval page, where you certify that the project written by you is approved and signed by your supervisor and head of department.
3. Dedication: The project is usually dedicated to the Almighty God and to your parent
4. Acknowledgement: It is pertinent to acknowledge people who supports you during this research period, most especially your supervisor and guidance
5. Abstract: This is the summary of your entire work.
6. Chapter one-five: This is the body of the work.
7. References: These are the materials gathered and used for the work.
8. Appendix (where applicable)
Chapter one must have a proper linking in your write-up from the conceptual definition to the conclusion based on materials you assessed. It include; background, statement of problem, aims\objectives,research questions & hypothesis, significant ,scope and limitation and definition of terms.
Chapter two This reviews both the empirical and theoretical literature, it entails an exhaustive library research or referencing a paper.
Chapter 3 This describes the Methodology you are adopting for your research work, research design, data analysis, data source and period covered.
Chapter 4 Data presentation interpretation and result including testing the hypothesis.
Chapter 5 This is the last chapter in a research work. It includes the; summary, conclusion and recommendation.
Esther Nathaniel is a graduate of Biological Science Department from the prestigious State Univeristy of Calabar (CRUTECH), presently a content developer and resource person at Project Solutions Research Theater. A music tutor/teacher who specializes on various instruments like the keyboard, violin, flute, and guitar.