AN ASSESSMENT OF THE EFFECT OF MOTIVATION ON WORKERS, PERFORMANCE
(A CASE STUDY OF NIKE LAKE, RESORT ENUGU)
| Format: Ms Word | 1-5 Chapters | Table of Content|
INSTANT PROJECT MATERIAL DOWNLOAD
Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE
This research work is on the assessment of the effect of motivation on workers, performance taking Nike Lake Resort Enugu as a case study. A sample size of one hundred and eighty two respondents were selected through cluster and simple random techniques. Thirteen research questions were formulated for the study and the method of data collection used were interview, questionnaire and other relevant material.
Some research findings were made among which include that
- The management of an organization should be praised for the little effort they made towards motivating their workers.
- The workers must be encouraged to make their contribution towards the achievement of the organization goals as a positive one.
- It should be made very clear in the mind of the management of the organization that motivation is an essential and important tool for increasing the productivity of workers.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Table of content
- General background of the subject matter
- Problems associated with the subject matter
- Problems the study will be concerned with
- The importance of studying the area
- Definition of important terms
- Literature Review
- The origin of the subject area
- School of thought within the subject area
- School of thought relevant ton the problems
- Different method of studying the problems
- Data presentation (Highlights of the study)
- Analysis of the data
- GENERAL BACKGROUND OF THE SUBJECT MATTER
Over some years ago, psychologists, managers and students of management have given increased concern to the need for human motivation at the work place. They found this concept useful to both explaining human behaviour, particularly in work situations to increase the productivity of workers.
The purpose of motivation is to increase one’s performance and to attain a standard of excellence in any endeavour.
Managers in all types of organization are continually faced with the problem of vast differences that exists in then performance or output of individual workers. Some employees often perform at high level and need little or no supervision and appear to enjoy what they are doing; other employees perform only at marginal levels and require constant attention and direction and are often absent from their duty posts. The reasons for these differences in performance area varied and complex involving the
nature of job, the behaviour of the manager and the characteristics of the workers. The big question is, how can the manager maintain the high performance of the first group and also increase that of those producing marginally, when it comes to being highly highly productive on the job, to performing with little or no direction and to being a real contributor to the organization. What can one usually say is the cause? Does money count first i.e. –The desire to draw bigger pay pocket? or is it the sheer enjoyment of being part of a busy cooperative-professional team that makes some employees perform high?
It has been recently shown that this variation caused by the motives of workers, whether the employees or managers are high or low in achievement, motivation makes a real difference in the effectiveness of financial incentives. Several studies have shown that offering additional financial reward for doing a task does not make a strongly-achievement-oriented person to work hard or better. A group of aggressive-achievement-mudded salesmen would certainly be angry if their extra efforts were not recognized with much greater financial reward.
Yet offering them bonus is not what produces the extra effort. This may seen like a psychological distinction without a difference, but the genuinely affects performance.
People with relatively low achievement motivation, on the other hand, will work harder for increased financial rewards. However, does the money got by doing it interest them primarily as a measure of accomplishment? Rather, it has other value for them.
In contemporary times some organization in Enugu Urban have been enjoying a situation of high productivity, efficiency and effectiveness in their work performance while some have not been able to find their feet. The situation because more glaring when take a look at the private organization.
Motivation is about understanding the weds which prompts employee in organization to do things and providing of help. Also a person who is well motivated usually work hard and have self-directed behaviour towards important goals. Therefore this research work is designed to assess the effect of motivation on the performance of the workers in Nike Lake Resort (protean Hotel) Enugu.
The findings will help to evaluate the problems and prospects of the organization in the area of motivation and to suggest ways of improving the workers. It is only through the effective performance of the employees that returns from investment can be achieved. This is why it is necessary to know how they are being motivated to work and achieve their organization’s objectives.
- PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH THE SUBJECT MATTER.
The phenomenon of productivity and inefficiency creates a lot of problem in business organization. No business organization can achieve its set objective in terms of profit, survival, growth, continuity and the ability to compete favorably with other organization when its workers are not performing as expected.
Nike lake Resort (Protea Hotel) Enugu will be faced with the above problems if better attention is not given to the employees and motivational strategies set towards organizational goals.
Surviving and competiting favorably with other organizations will be null and void if its employees are not motivated and this will result to the
failure of the organization and also not maximizing its profit. Researchers have shown that major reason why workers in business organization perform below expectation is as a result of not being adequately motivated.
As a result of the above, the researcher is looking into various means through which business organization can motivate their workers towards performing well and the effect of motivational strategies to enhance the performance of the workers in Nike Lake Resort (Protea Hotel) Enugu.
- PROBLEM THAT THE STUDY WIL BE CONCERNED WITH
In order to carryout a successful work, the researcher has to be able to identify the problem concerned with the subject matter.
- Identify how motivation serves as a management tool for increasing the performance of workers.
- Examine the extent in which the worker’s of some organization benefits from the motivational tools adopted by their management.
- Find out the type of relationship existing between the management and their workers.
- Identify the ways or means through which the business organization motivates their workers.
- IMPORTANCE OF STUDYING THE AREA
Since the effect of motivation cannot be emphasized. It becomes very necessary to date that those at the top of affairs in every organization should at all times motivate their workers.
This research therefore limits itself tom the effects of motivation on workers, performance. Some of the effect of motivation on workers, performance includes.
- Increased productivity-when a worker is adequately motivated, the result is a very positive one on the organization. It increases the productivity level of the organization.
- Increases participation of a worker towards the actualization of the organizational goals.
- Raising the morale of workers-motivation will raise the morale of a worker effectively and this lead to increased participation and high productivity.
- Foster industrial harmony-when workers are adequately motivated it fosters the peaceful relationship between the workers in the organization.
- DEFINITION OF IMPORTANT TERMS
There are some unique and difficult words used in this project. However, they are carefully explained for easy clarifications and comprehension of their meanings and the context in which they are applied.
- MOTIVATION-: This simple means ensuring appropriate behaviour of workers in an organization by providing an environment in which people can satisfy their human needs through both their work and work environment. Motivation can be inform of promotion, bonus, performance appraisal, salary increment, provision of fringe benefits etc.
Huczynski and Buchaman (1985) defined motivation as “a decision-making process through which the individual chooses desired outcomes and sets in motion the behaviour appropriate to acquiring them.
- MANAGEMENT-: This is the co-ordination of human and material resources in an organization to achieve management goals. Umoh (1996) defined management as a process by which people (managers) create, direct, maintain and operate purposive organization through
- systematic co-operative human effort. It is also the process of getting things done by using other people to achieve a set of objective.
- EMPLOYEE-: Is a person that is being employed by an employer in a business.
- EMPLOYER-: Is a person who has the right to employ an employee in a business organization.
Ejiofor P.N.P: Management in Nigeria,
Theories and issues. African educational
Publishers 1981 (p…… 52-56)
Erindu C.N., Ani N.B and Agbo O.G.
Principles of management Uwani Enugu.
By Iyke venture production page (217)
Donnely .A.E (1971) fundamental of
Management functions behaviour, Texas
Models business publication inc. 1st Edition
Huczysk.A and Buchanan. D (1985)
Organizational behaviour, prentice hall.
Pearce S.A (1991) work and motivation
New York, Wiley and co ltd.
USE THIS ARTICLE AS A GUIDE FOR YOUR PERSONAL RESEARCH WORK (IF PROPERLY CITED)