| Format: Ms Word | 1-5 Chapters | Table of Content|
INSTANT PROJECT MATERIAL DOWNLOAD
Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
Career are series of jobs that a person has in a particular area of work example; a career in politics, teaching career (Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary new 9th edition).
Career is the progress and actions taken by a person throughout a lifetime, especially those related to that person’s occupations. A career is often composed of the jobs held, titles earned and work accomplished over a long period of time rather than first retaining to one position (Business Dictionary).
Career selection is one of the main important choices in students plans. This choice of decision will have impact on them throughout their lives. The essence of who the students are will revolve around what a student wants to do with his greatest blessings. Everyone is always eager to have honest occupation. The way the students perceive their environment for example, students who have lived on an island may choose a career dealing with water or they may choose to leave the island behind and never to have anything to do with water again.
Parents’ educational and occupational background may affect students’ choice of career because some students may contemplate on whether to continue with their parents occupation or not. What the students see in the television also may affect their career choice some careers demand that you have the personality to match the qualities of the occupation. For these reasons the necessity of a guidance counsellor on schools cannot be over emphasized. As guidance counsellor is needed as a reliable source in search of career information.
Tuche (2002) suggested that the students should think of their career in senior secondary schools in so doing they need career guidance. Ipaye (1983) refers to the need for one to discuss with one peers, school counsellors, parents and teachers on the need to choose a life span work as “career convention or career conferences”. However, career convention according to him is an instrument of career information. This occurs for a number of reasons, which include the following:
- To stimulate career thinking and widen occupational horizon.
- To focus attention on particular jobs in other to help an individual crystallize his preference and
- To create a situation in which parents can on one hand meet the employers and discuss the opportunities they offer and on other hand meet the career teachers or career officers with whom they can exchange views.
The factors that may influence choice of career includes:
- Socio economic factors
- Personal or family factors
- Cultural factors which include schools, peer group and age groups.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
This research is based on the factors influencing the career choice of student. Career plays a very fundamental and important role in the life of the individual not only because they determine the pattern of income but also because they affect the individual personality and concepts in life, career therefore is a chosen pursuit, life work or success in a profession occupied by a person throughout his life time. Choice of career is something very hard to decide especially as life will depend on it, career is the totality of experience through which one learns and prepares to engage in work as part of his way of living. Splete (2001) stress career as an enjoying process that occurs over the life span and include homes, schools and community. Every human being needs to do one job or the other to help contribute to the development of the country. Many are the variables that operate to decide which occupation an individual chooses.
This sometimes leads to students waywardness, secret cult involvement, armed robbery and so on. The child may not cope with the influence of these factors against his will. The choice of career has a persuasive connection with one’s entire way of life.
Therefore the first stage of career choice is self awareness which involve examining your skills, values, interest and personality and analyzing where your strengths and weaknesses are.
1.3 Purpose of the Study
The main purpose of the study is an attempt to examine the factors influencing the career choice of students. It will also examine what extent the factors influencing the career choice will aid the students positively or at times negatively.
1.4 Research Questions
The research questions which the study attempt to verify are as follows:
- Is there any need for learning career choice in senior secondary school?
- How does career choice affect the academic performance of students?
- Is student’s choice of career influenced by their peer group?
- Is your career choice based on your interest and value towards that career?
- What are the factors responsible for a student’s wrong choice of career?
1.5 Significance of the Study
The importance of this research work is to find to what extent the factors influencing choice will influence the students choice of career and the attendance performance of students on the subjects that would lead them successfully towards this occupation as a lifetime endeavour.
- It will enable the researcher give recommendations to the students on the choice of career.
- It will enable the researcher make necessary recommendations to parents about their children mildness to advice given to them or their choice of career.
- It will enable the researcher make recommendations to school administrations.
- It will enable the researcher make concrete recommendations to the government about the choice of career among secondary schools students especially now that the rate of unemployment is high.
- The findings will enable the researcher to make recommendations to further research on the issue of career prospects.
1.6 Scope of the Study
The research work limits itself to factors influencing the career choice of students in Uyo Local Government of Akwa Ibom State. This research will cover five randomly selected secondary schools in Uyo Local Government of Akwa Ibom State, three public and two private schools. The schools are:
- Secondary school Etoi
- Uyo High School
- Community Secondary School Aka Offot
- Ernest Secondary Commercial School Itiam
- Heritage College Itiam
Furthermore, for the survey to be properly conducted questionnaire will be employed.
According to Behling and others, an individual’s decision to enter into a career may depend on any of the three factors:
- Objective factors
- Subjective factor.
- Critical contact
These theories assume that an individual have a free choice of career.
1.7 Definition Of Terms
Career: the broad opportunities that exist for lifelong vocations. These vocations are set out in a framework of strategies moving towards personal goals.
Influence: The power or control that somebody or something has behind a particular desire of another person.
Choice: An act of choosing between two or more possibility. The right to choose or possibility of choosing.
Factors: One of several things that causes or influence something or somebody to include as particular fact or situation when thinking or planning something.
Career is the progress and actions taken by a person throughout a lifetime, especially those related to that person’s occupations. A career is often composed of the jobs lend, titles earned and work accomplished over a long period of time rather than first returning to one position (Business Dictionary).