THE ACCOUNTABILITY IN AGRICULTURAL SECTOR (A CASE STUDY OF KWARA STATE AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT PROJECT)
| Format: Ms Word | 1-5 Chapters | Table of Content|
INSTANT PROJECT MATERIAL DOWNLOAD
Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE
TABLE OF CONTENT
Title page i
Approval page ii
Table of Content ix
- Introduction 1
- Problem of the Study 2
- Aims and Objective of Study 3
- Research Methodology 4
- Organization of the study 5
- Accounting System 7
- Sources of Financial Information 9
- User of Accounting Information 13
- Criteria the Accounting System should meet 15
- Accounting Records 17
- Non-profit Making Organization 19
- Function of Accounting Department 20
- Weakness of the System 21
RESEARCH METHODOLOGY AND DESIGN OF THE STUDY
- History of kwara Agricultural Development Project 23
- Sources of Data 25
- Personal Observation 26
- Organization of the Study
(kwara Agricultural Development Project) 27
- Limitation of the Study 31
DATA PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS
- Appraisal of the Accounting System 33
Agricultural Development Project
- Financial Document and Reports 39
- Receipts and PAYMENTS 39
- Area office and Store Accounting 46
- Population of Sampling Size 51
SUMMARY, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATION
- Summary 64
- Conclusion 64
- Recommendation 65
1.1 Background of the Study
Government accounting is the process of recording, analyzing, summarizing, communicating and interpreting financial information about government I aggregate and in detail, reflecting all transaction the receipt, transfer and disposition of government funds and property.
This effect is as laid down in the Audit ordinance 1956 and the financial control and management ordinance of 1958. The provisions of these two ordinances have been integrated and additional provisions were made in the constitution of federation of Nigerian (1963).
The purpose of the project however is to determine effectiveness and the appropriateness of the accounting in government establishment in order to support its continued use and hence modify it system as necessary.
To this effect, the accounting system of a typical government establishment (in this case Kwara Agricultural Development Project, Ilorin) has been analyzed in full, for a long period now, less attention has been paid to the government accounting system which makes it almost impossible to notice defects. The study will be a sort of X-ray on the government accounting system so as to notice any deflection from the provision of the ordinance, as well as suggest reasonable improvements on the existing system.
1.2 PROBLEM OF THE STUDY
The devastating nature of the Agricultural sector of the economy was as a result of over dependent on income from crude oil by the government (i.e. mono product economy) which has caused a lot of damage to the economy of the country.
In view of the above plight, the researcher had embarked on this research work to find a dependable solution to the following problems.
- Increase in unemployment rate in the country as a result of agricultural sector neglected.
- Lack of Accountability and transparency in the disbursement of funds to the Agricultural sector of the economy.
- Less attention given to Agricultural sector cause an increase in poverty.
- Poor infrastructural facilities as a constraint to the Agricultural development.
- Increase in food crises in the country as a result of the Agricultural sector neglected
1.3 AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The aims of this write up are of five fold or aspects which are:-
- To highlight the importance of accounting system in agricultural development.
- To emphasis on accounting obligation expected to every government accounting officers and their subordinates.
- To appraise the government accounting system in general and that of Agricultural Development projects in particular (A.D.P)
- To analysis the problem associated with Agricultural Development project in relation to Accountability and transparency.
- To expanciate on the problems enumerated above.
1.4 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
The method adopted in conducting this research on “Accounting system” was through personal interview and company records. The research focused on planning section, capital budget section on main finance department.
Interview is a process of asking questions and demanding immediate answers to each question through personal contract system.
Interview method adopted as the foundation for collecting vital information is the purpose of the study, some of the officials in charge of budget preparation in the organization were interviewed as well as the senior officers in some departments.
Personal observation was involved during this research work. This involves spending some time with the source officer to observe how accounts are being prepared. Also, some documents like Kwara State Agricultural finance system for the year were also examined.
Books containing information were used with others as subject matter. During the course of this study pieces of information were gathered form books on accounting system, views of different authors were also taken into consideration.
1.5 ORGANISATION OF THE STUDY
The study is divided into five chapters and each chapter is subdivided into some parts.
Chapter one contains the introduction, Aims and Objectives, scope and limitation of the study, Research methodology and finally the organization of the study.
Chapter two also contain or reveal all the associated literature while chapter three contains all the data presentation and analysis. While chapter four is purely the methodology research
Finally, chapter four which is the last chapter entails the summary, conclusion and Recommendation.